Voice is pre-language. Voice existed before all semiotic systems. Voice inherits the history of human civilization. Voice is representative of power. “Voice or not” and the materialities of voices signify cultural and political meanings. As Roland Barthes concludes in the Grain of Voice (1981), “voice is in a dual posture, a dual production of language and of music”. From a relatively micro point of view, voice is the most original instrument that functions as a direct source of vibration and meanwhile reacts to the Body (oral/nasal/head/thoracic/abdominal cavity) namely the Subject to form into resonance within, furthermore, as oneself. In accordance with this knowledge, I try to free the natural voice from habitual patterns that are generated from our restrained mechanism of vocal production – from traditional vocal music, extended techniques, phonetic texts to any sonic output; in the form of mimicry to the nature and the modern soundscapes, and the medium to channel consciousness to presence. Let sound waves laden with the breathe circulate within the Body, to induce physical commotion and be in harmony inside and out with the environment.
1. I can’t sing because I can’t sing in tune. I am officially tone-deaf. Amusia. I am a person who has lost the ability to sing. If you define singing as producing melodies, I think of it as a collision of words and phrases.
2. I listen to music, all kinds of music and sounds. I need to throw up. I learn languages – all kinds of phonetics/all kinds of frictions between lips and teeth/all kinds of articulations. I need to puke.
4. I needed an exit from my present life or to just chisel a hole through it. It’s like when you get hit by shit out without any reason and you gotta ask “why?”.
5. The audience is the flesh. I need flesh.
6. Sound poetry, sound poetry, sound poetry.
6. Emotional reasonless; Meaningless sentimental.
released November 1, 2015
Limited Editions of 10. Improvisation Performance
April 3, 2015 at HB Station Contemporary Art Research Center
Mastered by Li Ping in Hangzhou, China
Visual Design by Xuan Ye
“…every reaching part of the mouth-cord coughing/exorcising wordless barrage. bellow alien-gospel shriek poison for his/her exchange, crazily finding the ritual after displacing the speech. when sung-hit and high-hitting the partnership implodes in primal first sound cave-cry…blasted shout-blues frozen on the one, in the pure now, inside the mirror, using our anxiety against us in no-tools-needed front-and-center being: with their lungs and their throats and their living question marks.”
Xuan Ye is techne agnostic and genre eclectic. object sounds, sound improvises, body transmutes, space resonates.
indeterminate. stuttered. overflown. at the mountains of madness. as the definition of (soma/sound) experiences morphs. situations bent. ideas dying aborning.